That title simultaneously makes me extremely sad, and makes me want to punch myself in the face for even contemplating the notion that blogging could be dead. I’ve said it over and over again – side note, I’ve started listening to Nathan Sykes Over and Over again, again, and strike me down dead, lad’s got some soul ain’t he? – but blogging is my one true love of the social media world. You categorically wouldn’t know it from the (maximum) 2 blog posts a year in comparison to the other drivel I post on [insert literally any other social media platform here], but it really is. Writing this blog could take me away from any chaotic situation I was in whilst equally making me feel…. vaguely intellectual? Funny? Worthy? I guess it made me feel less clumsy, ditsy blonde bimbo (a brand I have accidentally created for myself but wholeheartedly embraced over the years) and more, just a regular girl that’s worked really hard and can string a sentence or two together.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not downplaying the efforts I’ve poured into Instagram, Youtube etc. over the years, and I’m so proud of the job/brand/business/lifestyle I’ve managed to create for myself. But sitting at my breakfast bar in my brand new East London flat that I bought all by myself – just taking a
self indulgent moment to myself to take a f**king bow and pat myself on the back, albeit gently to not disrupt the freshly applied layer of fake tan, for achieving this – I can’t help but think to myself… what’s next?
When the world opens up again, I’m sure I’ll be travelling the world again – life’s biggest luxury and I’m endlessly grateful for it – but I just feel like I need more. I need to be inspired again. I need to be excited. Hence why I am attempting to make a return to blogging.*
* No need to point out that I’ve said this 69 billion times and literally never come through. But it feels different this time. I guess we’ll soon see.
Which leads me to the question of, do people even read blogs anymore? Don’t get me wrong, I know there are record breaking blogs with hundreds of thousands of views every month. I know that coeliac/recipe blogs are thriving. I know that travel guides will forever be evergreen content. But do people actually click on to people’s blogs who just fancy a chat, to show you a new dress they’re loving or to rant and rave about a new lipstick?
Are we actually interested in this anymore?
In all honesty, from my responses to those questions on Instagram and Youtube, I know that the answer to this is mostly a no (which actually does devastate me a little). People are busy and would rather play a video or podcast in the background whilst getting ready. But I can’t help but feel/desperately hope that there is still a place for chatty girls/guys that like talking about life/thoughts/clothes/travel/lipsticks/netflix series/any other random crap they fancy mentioning. What do we reckon?
TBH, even if the answer is a no, this space will ‘hopefully’ still be full of content as, well… I guess I started this blog for me. I loved writing and it made me happy. And that’s kinda why I’m starting it up again. I hope you stick with me on this waffly, rambly journey where you can expect:
– Random chats on how I’m feeling
– Travel guides when there’s actually places to travel to
– A shit tonne of London content because I’ve missed being an insta fairy in all of the instagrammable cafes
– INTERIORS POSTS. I’ve spent the last 3 months doing up my flat and finally have a home I’m proud to share as opposed to a tiny corner in a family home which is basically like one big, giant skip (no offence Mum, but it’s true. I still love you and I still absolutely want to come home to gluten free cakes and biscuits. *kisses*)
– Random shit I’m loving. I can’t wait to use every adjective the Oxford Dictionary contains to describe a blusher and still not make it clear what’s actually good about it.
– Gluten free recipes
– Tips and tricks and life hacks. Because you don’t get to 28 as one of the clumsiest people on the planet and not learn a few tips along the way.
– Thoughts and feelings. Over the nearly NINE years of writing this blog, my happiness levels has had many peaks and troughs, and more recently even creeping into anxiety (a completely new and totally alien emotion) and I’ve found talking, even if to a camera whose footage never sees the light of day, really really helping.
– There’s probs gonna be the odd mention of Grey’s Anatomy along the way too. No brainer.
Do let me know if there’s anything in particular you’d like to see. If there’s any of you out there still reading (yes Mum, I see you. And thank you), I really hope you’re excited for more chats to come!